Malloy, a Democrat, won the top state executive position in Connecticut on November 2, 2010.
According to opinion columnist Colin McEnroe:
- “To you, $150,000 may seem like a fine salary, but there were actually 1,128 state employees who made more than that last year, according to figures extracted by ctsunlight.org, a website run by conservatives, which is what you will turn into if you look at the figures.”
State employees who earn more than the governor include:
- Douglas Whiting. Whiting makes $162,850,50/year working for the Connecticut State Legislature as the head of public relations for the State Speaker of the House, a post held by Democrat Christopher Donovan.
- 50 nurses who earn more than $150,000, including four state supervising nurses who make more than $250,000.
- 25 state police sergeants who make more than the governor, including five who make more than $200,000.
- Thirty-five of the top 50 state salaries are earned by personnel at the University of Connecticut Health Center. All 35 make more than $345,000 each year; one of them earns $800,000 annually.
- Three coaches, including Jim Calhoun at $2.362 million and Geno Auriemma at $1.643 million.